The Rome Cemetery was founded as part of the rural cemetery movement in New York State during the 1850s. Typically of many urban cemeteries, Rome Cemetery replaced a burying ground which was deemed to close to the inhabitants of a city which experienced rapid growth due to the construction and operation of the Erie Canal.
The Rome Cemetery is located north of the city and was originally 25 acres in size when opened in 1853. Still an active cemetery, it acreage is now about 140.
Previous Rome Burial Grounds
The old burying ground had been located at Fort Stanwix Park at Turin and North James streets. This cemetery was in use from the 1820's until 1872.
Not much is known of the organization of Rome Cemetery, the original trustees, etc. except for the date of 1851.
The dedication of the Rome Cemetery took place on July 20, 1853 in an elaborate ceremony as reported by the Rome Sentinel.
The remains from the old burying ground at Fort Stanwix Park where transfered to the Rome Cemetery between 1853 and 1889. Additional remains were found at Fort Stanwix Park and transferred in 2002 and 2004.
Bailey, Alexander Hamilton - August 4, 1817 - April 20, 1874, US Congressman
Bellamy, Francis - May 18, 1855 - August 28, 1931, original author of "The Pledge of Allegiance"
Foster, Henry Allen - May 7, 1800 - May 11, 1889, US Congressman and US Senator
Dedicated: July 20, 1853
Location: Rome, Oneida County, New York
Size: 140 acres